About the school
Customer Service and school improvement
"The school leaders who embrace, design and implement customer-driven systems will be the ones who thrive in the future."
The objective of Customer Service training is to develop a framework for school administration, faculty and staff that supports an overall effort to build a positive school culture, improve communication and understanding, improve teamwork, and create a more satisfying experience for everyone.
• Improved rapport between parents and school staff
• Stronger ties to the community
• Strong and positive school culture
• Improved parent and student satisfaction
• A culture of active listening and problem solving
• A welcoming environment for students, parents and prospects
• Recognition of each others’ contributions
These outcomes in turn positively impact enrollment, retention, and achievement.
1. Internal customer service - how we engage students and staff in the education process, both at building and district levels
- Can go a long way towards helping us understand the unmet needs of our students and staff and improve the quality of our work as a result
For internal customer service, I would recommend a similar gathering of information through student interviews, panels, and surveys such as the
2 External customer service - how our schools and central office personnel engage the community
- Can garner community support in ways that empower our work and strengthen partnerships that are beneficial for students.
- The changing nature of school funding. As families have more choices and can more easily enroll students across traditional district lines, schools who not only meet academic needs but are also responsive to their community will see the greatest benefit.
Tools to measure customer service
· Online customer satisfaction surveys
· Parent/guardian/teacher/student exit interviews (real interviews, not just a piece of paper)
· Feedback cards in front offices and on desktops
· Secret shoppers
Strategies to improve customer service
· Training for all staff on customer service
· Establishment of first-contact resolution culture
· Empowerment of individuals, schools, departments to meet identified needs